Retail Program Standards Grant
Changes and cancellations for retail grant-funded travel due to COVID-19
UPDATE: August 5, 2020
With increased workloads for many jurisdictions brought on by the response to COVID-19, and cancellation of most of the CY 2020 training funded by Retail Program Standards (RPS) Subawards, FDA is committed to offering flexibility with CY 2020 Subawards in all Grant Categories (1, 2, 3, and 4).
Following are the procedures on how and when to update or cancel your CY 2020 RPS Subawards:
- For Category 1 (Small), Category 2 (Medium), or Category 4 (Food Protection Task Force) Projects, if you will not be able to complete the scope of work during the current calendar year you are permitted to request a 1-year extension (through December 31, 2021) with the following stipulation: If a CY 2020 Subaward is granted a 1-year extension, the jurisdiction will not be permitted to apply for a CY 2021 subaward in the same subaward Category (the CY 2020 subaward will serve as a replacement for the jurisdiction’s CY 2021 subaward in that Category).
- Special rules for Category 3 (Training) Projects:
- For all cancelled trips, please check to be sure that all reservations have been cancelled (Hotels, Airfare, etc.).
- For costs already incurred for funded travel that was cancelled, please submit for reimbursement at this time. Please make every effort to have charges refunded before seeking reimbursement; we will then make every effort to reimburse all costs that were not refunded. Remember to include dated documentation (emails, cancellation announcements, notices of jurisdictional travel bans, etc.) regarding cancellations and refunds (or problems getting refunds), to support your reimbursement request.
- FDA is open to considering alternative web-based training for CY 2020 (reimbursement of materials and registration fees only) that is retail-focused and supports compliance with the Retail Program Standards. If you have any ideas or would like to submit an official subaward change request, please do so at this time. Remember that any changes to your subaward must be approved in writing by AFDO in advance.
- FDA has recently decided to allow jurisdictions to use remaining funds from their CY 2020 Training Subawards for Training Equipment purchases – prior approval is required. Permissible requests include:
- Distance learning equipment for individual training (cameras, microphones, lights, headsets, etc.)
- Software licenses (max of 1-year duration) to allow agencies to deliver Distance Learning Courses
- Training room enhancements (for group training offered by agencies – monitors, sound systems, projectors, etc.)
- Laptop purchases may be permissible but will require a strong justification on why they are needed specifically for staff training.
- Unused funds from your CY 2020 Category 3 Training Subawards will not roll over for continued use and cannot be extended into CY 2021. All jurisdictions can, however, apply for new training funds when the Retail Program Standards grant portal opens for CY 2021 Subawards on September 3, 2020.
- If you will not be able to use the funding from any of your CY 2020 subawards (Category 1, 2, 3 or 4), due to changes in workload or other reasons and you will not be asking for an extension or change, please reach out to AFDO at this time and cancel such open CY 2020 Subawards.
- Finally, please reach out to the AFDO Grants Management Team as often as needed for assistance — and can be reached at (717) 814-9873 or contact us.
Best of luck, stay safe, and reach out with any questions or needs.