The Milk and Shellfish Grant Program provides state cooperative program grants for the Grade “A” Milk Safety and National Shellfish Sanitation Programs.
This program is supported by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a financial assistance award U18FD006732 totaling $3,000,000 with 100 percent funded by FDA/HHS. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by FDA/HHS, or the U.S. Government.
About the Program
Each year, grant funding is available to state or territorial (Puerto Rico) agencies that have the regulatory authority to implement the Grade “A” Milk Safety Program and/or the National Shellfish Sanitation Program. Applicants to this program can expect a simple application process, up-front funding when required by the project, and simple reporting requirements.
Key Training Subaward Details
with regulatory/rating authority, or that provide a state laboratory service, to implement the National Grade “A” Milk Safety Program may submit one (1) application; and/or
with regulatory authority, or that provide a state laboratory service, to implement the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) may submit one (1) application.
Suggested training for CY 2021, as we expect continued COVID-19 travel limitations
Given that a significant number of face-to-face courses and meetings for CY 2021 have already been cancelled, please consider the following suggestions for eligible CY 2021 Training requests:
- Any courses or seminars that meet the intent of the Milk and Shellfish Grant Program, and that have published dates for CY 2021, will be considered eligible – please include the status of the course or seminar in your application.
- According to the latest information available, we do expect that Regional Seminars for both Milk and Shellfish will be scheduled for CY 2021 – please feel free to include in your application.
- FDA is open to considering alternative web-based training for CY 2021 (reimbursement of materials and registration fees only), provided it meets the intent of this grant program and includes a strong justification.
- Requests for in-state training and/or staff training meetings, university-based online courses, and other types of training will be considered, when adequate justification is provided describing how the alternate training(s) will support the goals of this funding program.
- Important Note on the Milk and Shellfish courses provided by the FDA Office of Training Education and Development (OTED): According to the latest information available, FDA does not plan to offer face-to-face Milk and Shellfish courses through September 2021, and possibly through December 2021. Unless updated information is released before the close of the application portal in October and confirming CY 2021 face-to-face deliveries, please do not include any of the FDA courses in your application, unless your agency has confirmed the ability to offer a local or course-in-the-box delivery.
Access your grant records
To access the grants management portal:
- Existing Users (who have previously applied for a grant through this program) may use their username and password to log in at the upper right corner of this page, or click here. If you cannot find your username and/or password, please click here to reset it.
- New Applicants (who have not applied for or received a grant from this program) should click here to create an account.
All applicants are encouraged to review the 2021 Milk and Shellfish Grant Program Grant Guidance (PDF).
Please bookmark this page, https://www.afdo.org/grants/msgrants, as it will always contain the most up-to-date information about the grant program. If you would like to receive news and updates when new information is available, please register your email address here.
Log into the grants management portal at right, or contact us at (717) 814-9873 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your current award.
Program data interactive map
The interactive map provides detailed grant information of all Milk and Shellfish awardees since this program’s inception in 2017. The numbers associated with states represent the total number of grant-funded regulatory agencies.
The online grants management portal system is now accepting reimbursement requests from participants whose grant applications were approved. Use your username and password in the right menu of this page to access your individualized reports. In addition, Grant Reimbursement Instructions are located on the right side of this home page underneath the “Reimbursement Request” header.
Please Note: A reimbursement check will be made to your organization as a whole, and cannot be made payable to any individual.
For current grantees and applicants
Additionally, you may use the portal to view the status of your grant award(s), view and print copies of both awarded and declined applications, view and print copies of your official award letter(s), and submit required reports and reimbursement requests.